Robert Newton was born on February 3, 1966. He grew up on a farm in Marlboro County, South Carolina. He attended college at Duke University, graduating with a B.A. degree in 1989. Later, he went to the University of South Carolina School of Law and graduated with a J.D. in 1995, finishing in the top 10% of his Law School class. His area of legal practice is Criminal Defense, with extensive experience in the field of Criminal Law including several years as a Prosecutor for Greenville and Pickens Counties, Public Defender work in Pickens County, and private Criminal Defense work.
His affiliations and honors include the following:
- South Carolina Bar
- Angier B. Duke Memorial Scholarship in 1988
- American Jurisprudence Award in Torts II in 1993
- USC School of Law Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award in 1994
- Order of the Wig and Robe in 1994
- Order of the Coif in 1995
- Graduate Cum Laude in 1995
- Outstanding Service Award for the 13th Circuit Solicitor’s Office (Greenville and Pickens Counties) in 2002.